Anorexia nervosa is an eating disorder is characterized with extreme food restriction, inappropriate eating habits, obsession with weight and figure, as well as an irrational fear of gaining weight. Although the disease has an extreme physical manifestation, the root causes of Anorexia is mental. This can including depression, distorted self-image & a desire for extreme control.
Some of the mental symptoms of anorexia nervosa are:
- Extreme mood swings
- The need to meet a distorted form of physical perfection
- An obsession with food and/or counting calories
- Feeling of lack of control over aspects of their life
- Lanugo – fine hairs that cover the body
- Swollen joints and cheeks
- Extremely low weight
- Amenorrhea – lack of monthly period
Some of the physical symptoms of anorexia nervosa include:
Anorexia nervosa is a very serious disorder that can lead to death if not treated. The exact treatments depend on the person with anorexia nervosa, and an assessment will be done before those treatments can be chosen.
An experienced therapist with Insight Psychological will work with the person with anorexia nervosa and any of his/her loved ones in order to determine which treatments will work best. Please call us today in order to make an appointment to get started.