More about Karla Buchholz
I am currently completing my final year of the Master of Counselling Psychology program offered by Yorkville University. My interests and future areas of specialization are trauma, sexuality, couples counselling and sex therapy.
I am sex-positive, LGBTQIA+ affirming and am also able to help with religious trauma.
I like to use integrative approaches with clients and often draw from Client-Centered Therapy, Cognitive Behavioural Therapy, Dialectical Behavioural Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Solution-Focused Therapy and Emotion-Focused Therapy.
I believe in the wisdom of lived experiences and view clients as resilient and having the capacity to grow and explore new meaning in life.
In my down-time I like to practice self-care and spend quality time with my partner and our rescue dog.
Karla, when did you know you wanted to become a psychologist?
I had interest in becoming a psychologist since high school but did not seriously pursue psychology until I learned more about my own mental health. I knew I wanted to become a psychologist when I personally experienced how helpful counselling and therapy can be. My therapist helped me work through trauma from losing a close family member to an incurable disease (which was impacting my adult relationships), religious trauma, sexual trauma, and anxiety. I became passionate about helping other individuals and couples because counselling helped me to process my past, focus on my present, and create meaning for my future.
Master of Arts in Counselling Psychology (in progress)
Bachelor of Arts (Major: Psychology, Minor: Counselling)
My Areas of Specialty:
I can also help with these areas:
- Blended Family Adjustment
- Coming Out
- Cross Cultural Issues Counselling
- Dealing with Infidelity
- Emotional Abuse
- Family Issues
- Grief and Loss
- Life Transitions
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Marriage and Relationship Concerns
- Physical Abuse
- Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)
- Premarital Counselling
- Relationship Dependence
- Self-Esteem Issues
- Sexual Abuse & Assault
- Suicidal Thoughts (Ideation) and Survivor
- Supporting Teenagers with Depression
- Trauma or PTSD with First Responders
- Weight & Eating Disorders
Mental Health Disorders:
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
My Treatment Approaches:
- Client Centered Therapy (Rogerian therapy)
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT)
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Family Systems (Bowenian) Therapy
- Mindfulness Therapy
- Narrative Therapy
- Person Centered therapy
- Solution Focused Therapy
- Personality and Behavioural Assessments
Sexuality, Intimacy, and Gender:
- BDSM/Kink & Poly/Swing Relationships
- Gender Identity
- LGBTQ+ and Gender Issues
- Relationship Dependence
- Sexual Offending Behaviours & Violence
- Sexuality and Intimacy Issues