Families are a complex unit and come in many shapes and sizes. As much as there can be love and acceptance in your family, there can also be many issues that make your family anything but loving or accepting. Add changing dynamics (births, deaths, separations, and growth) and navigating peaceful relationships can be challenging. These and many other events can trigger family conflict.
Symptoms & signs of family issues
- Continual arguing and bickering
- Inability to communicate effectively
- Anger management issues
- Unwillingness to listen when someone is expressing concerns
- Physical altercations
How it affects you:
- Emotional fatigue
- Work performance suffers
- Other relationships suffer
When is it time to get help?
Perhaps you’ve tried talking with your family, but the same patterns and negative behaviour gets repeated. If you feel that your family is controlling, judgmental, dysfunctional, or making you feel badly about yourself or sad, or maybe you feel that you are a contributor to the dysfunction, it’s time to get some help.
Treatment method for family issues
- Family systems therapy looks at the family as a one emotional unit. This therapeutic approach looks at the relationships within the family and the structure as a whole.
- Structural family therapy involves looking at the structures within the family unit. Changing the underlying structure tends to cause a ripple effect on the family. This therapy analyzes the hierarchical structure, subsystems and boundaries within the family.
- Strategic family therapy is a type of therapy where the therapist is a problem-solver and focuses on finding solutions to client’s challenges.
What will I get out of treatment with Insight Psychological?
You will come away with an understanding of the dynamics in your own family, and the role you play in it. You can learn about healthy boundaries, problem solving, healthy and effective communication and learn how to reduce conflicts. Contact us to learn more information or to book an appointment.