Avoidant Personality Disorder
Avoidant personality disorder has also been called anxious personality disorder. Some professionals believe that it is related to social phobia/social anxiety disorders, due the fear or social situations experienced by those diagnosed with this disorder. However, despite the related symptoms of the two disorders, avoidant personality disorder stands on its own because of its extreme nature.
Symptoms of those with avoidant personality disorder are:
- Low self-esteem that borders on self-loathing
- Social isolation and anxiety about social activities and settings despite the longing for close relationships
- Avoidance of all physical contact
- Hypersensitivity to the words and actions of others
- Agoraphobia, or fear of public places
Three of the ways in which avoidant personality disorder can be treated include social skills training, group therapy, and pharmacological therapy. In order to determine the best treatments, an assessment must be done.
Insight Psychological can help. We have five convenient locations – Spruce Grove, Calgary, Edmonton North, Red Deer and Edmonton South. Call us today.