Porn issues involve excessive use of pornography that affects a person’s everyday activities and relationships. Being unable to resist the impulse to engage in viewing pornography, then once the impulse is fulfilled, you experience pleasure or relief can be a problematic behaviour that interferes with your personal and/or intimate life.
Symptoms & signs of pornography issues
- Viewing pornography over a period longer than needed or to greater than the usual extent
- Frequent preoccupation with the use of pornography
- Viewing pornography during time that you should spend on daily responsibilities such as work, school, or social activities
- Giving up other hobbies or important responsibilities to engage in viewing pornography
- An increased frequency of engaging in viewing pornography just to experience the pleasure or preferred effect
- Feeling restless after not engaging in the act for awhile
When is it time to get help?
If your porn viewing has become compulsive, you feel shame or embarrassment, or it is interfering with your relationship and regular life, then you may have a problem and should consider getting support.
Pornography issues treatment methods
Insight Psychological is unique in Alberta for its experience in sex therapy including pornography issues. Specially trained psychologists are up to date on all the latest treatment options.
- Acceptance and commitment therapy encourages clients to accept the difficulties and misfortunes of life. Clients learn coping techniques to not dwell on negative emotions by staying in the present.
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is an evidence-based approach to treatment that focuses on how people’s thoughts, emotions, and beliefs influence their behaviour and how they perceive themselves.
- Behaviour therapy tends to view human beings and behaviour with the assumption that humans are a product of their sociocultural conditioning and environment, looking at the current problems and the factors influencing them and emphasizes behaviour changes more than the underlying unconscious processes.
What will I get out of treatment with Insight Psychological?
You should know that you’re not alone. Our therapists utilize a variety of effective treatment methods that can support you on your journey to finding healthy ways to cope, to stop self-medicating and to reclaim your life. Contact us to learn more or book an in-person, telephone or online appointment.