Becoming a Parent or the Addition of Children
Are you expecting the arrival of your first child? Is your spouse or partner pregnant? Are you about to become a step-parent? Are you anticipating an adoption? As any parent can confirm, the addition of a child or becoming a first-time parent is a major life change! And with any change there often comes some anxiety and trepidation. You may wonder:
- How will my life change?
- How will my relationship change?
- Will I be a good parent?
- Will the child be accepting of me (if this is a stepchild or adoption)
- Am I really ready to be a parent?
When is it time to get help?
These questions are normal – being a parent is a big responsibility and it’s healthy to speculate about these things. The reality is that your life will change. How you navigate these changes is the key. Even the best parents require support from time to time.
You may find that you are fixated on the above questions and stressed about your inability to answer them. If the anxiety of becoming a parent or adding more children to your family is inhibiting your ability to participate in daily activities, the quality of your life is affected, you find yourself coping with unhealthy choices (alcohol, drugs, food, unhealthy relationships, etc.), or if you just want to ease your mind and get some extra support, then you might benefit from seeing a therapist.
You may also want to learn more about:
- Marriage and relationship concerns
- Parenting issues and support
- Adoption issues
As these are common issues that may be present when faced with becoming a parent.
Challenges of becoming a parent or the addition of children treatment methods
There is no specific treatment for dealing with the change that being a new parent, or adding children to your family can bring. Depending on what you’re experiencing (grief, depression, anxiety or uncertainty about your career, etc.), there are many treatment methods that can be successful such as:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is an evidence-based approach to treatment that focuses on how people’s thoughts, emotions, and beliefs influence their behaviour and how they perceive themselves.
- Solution focused therapy views people as inherently strong and resilient, and capable of creating change and discovering solutions to their everyday problem.
- Mindfulness therapy is an approach to treatment that focuses on how people’s thoughts, emotions, and beliefs influence their behaviour and how they perceive themselves, others, and the world. The ability to be in the moment, to acknowledge and regulate your emotions helps you to break free from negative thought patterns.
We can also offer parenting support. It all depends on you and what treatment method best suits your needs and personality. Your therapist will work with you to determine the most effective treatment method for you.
What will I get out of treatment with Insight Psychological?
Our therapists will educate you, support you, and empower you to embrace this major change in your life. We can share coping strategies and parenting tips and tools you can use to help you get through this time of transition and help you to meet the challenges that may lie ahead of you.
Insight has many therapists that can support you on this journey. You can book online or call us to set up an appointment for counselling – in-person, online (video), or telephone.