Transformation, Insight’s gender transition program, offers initial assessment and consultation, medical referrals, and ongoing support to individuals who may be experiencing issues related to gender identity – including any degree of transgender expression, and/or considering SRS (sex reassignment surgery).
The program also includes counselling and therapy for individuals and family members who may also experience other concerns such as trauma, sexual abuse, substance use/abuse, relational issues, depression, anxiety, suicidal thoughts or actions, etc.
The topic of transgender identities has become more prevalent in recent years. Additional national support has meant a further understanding of gender fluidity, as opposed to the outdated concept of gender binary of male-female, with space in between. This has led to improved policy to provide those who identify as transgender with support, quality care, and affirmation.
People who are transgender have a different gender identity or gender expression than what was assigned to them at birth.
When working with individuals who identify as transgender, or any form of non-binary gender identity, there are additional, specific considerations that need to be recognized in order to help support individuals going through the journey of understanding themselves, their gender identity, and their gender presentation.
Topics that can be worked on include:
- Support under the standards of practice set forth by WPATH.org
- Other community resources
This work includes knowledge specific to this area, referrals to these individuals, supportive resources and a good understanding of the gender dynamics specifically experienced by transgender individuals.
Insight Psychological employs a full range of LGBTQ2S+ therapists who have direct first-hand experience in the community. We are a sex-positive agency who are comfortable working with any personal or sexual issues including those who are two-spirited, gender queer, and post-op, etc.
We take great care to understand the pitfalls and roadblocks that are common when working on these topics, to ensure the best possible outcomes and services.
- Comprehensive assessment of a client’s mental health, quality of life, levels of related stress, capacity to provide consent, and understanding of transition goals.
- Education to help the client, partner, and/or other family members explore the transgender identity of the client, the transitioning process and requirements as well as resources and support available.
- Provision of carry, name change, and vital statistics letters.
- Counselling and therapy to work through other issues that may emerge or exist, such as trauma, sexual abuse, substance use/abuse, relational issues, depression, anxiety, and/or suicidal thoughts or actions, etc.
- Referrals and/or information regarding other support and supplementary services (e.g. laser hair removal, voice training, cosmetic procedures, etc.).
Transformations takes a synergistic approach to the transition process. It collaborates actively with other related health professionals to build and maintain a streamlined process, in accordance with WPATH guidelines, that would facilitate a comprehensive yet seamless transition for our clients. Ultimately, we aim to reduce wait times for services throughout the transition process as soon as clients are ready to do so.
The Transformations team is led by senior psychologist, AASECT Certified Diplomate of Sex Therapy and Sex Therapy Supervisor, Dr. Cory Hrushka, and includes other LGBTQ2S+ friendly psychologists and Master’s levels therapists.
What will I get out of treatment with Insight Psychological?
We can help you to sort out your feelings and provide support for you to move forward to live as your authentic self. You are not alone in this – we can be a part of your team to work with you to reach a place where you feel satisfied and content with your gender, and ultimately your life.
There are several convenient Insight Psychological offices to serve you. We’d be honoured to be part of this journey with you. Contact us today to make an appointment.