Bipolar disorder is a mood disorder in which a person fluctuates between extreme highs and lows. The high periods are called “manic episodes” and contain a high degree of excitement and happiness. In contrast, the low periods, called “depressive episodes” are on the other end of the spectrum and include feelings of sadness and hopelessness. Someone with untreated bipolar disorder will cycle between the two on a regular basis.
Symptoms of a manic episode include:
- Acting impulsively
- Feeling extremely happy or excitable, as if on a high
- Lack of sleep without feeling tired
- Extreme restlessness and distractibility
Symptoms of a depressive episode include:
- Feeling sad or hopeless for a days at a time
- Not enjoying anything, including things that previously made you happy
- Extreme sleepiness, being unable to get out of bed
- Suicidal thoughts
- Trouble concentrating and remembering
Bipolar disorder can be treated. After one of our certified therapists has conducted a thorough assessment, various courses of treatment will be considered and discussed. These treatments may include pharmacological therapies, talk therapies, and behavioural therapies. Call Insight Psychological today in order to make an appointment.
Other Therapists that can help: