Although anger is a natural emotional response, for some people, it can take over their life and become a problem. Uncontrollable anger, such as the kind that appears without warning or cause, or causes an individual to “black out”, is something that should be managed before it escalates out of control.
Signs & Symptoms of Out-Of-Control Anger
- Flashes of extreme anger
- Anger eruptions that scare your loved ones
- Inability to listen while angry
- Tense muscles – especially shoulders
- Inability concentrate
When is it time to get help?
If you feel like your anger controls you, or if losing your temper causes harm to yourself or others, or if your personal or professional relationships are suffering, or anger is affecting your health – then an anger management program can help. Getting to the root cause of your anger is just the first step, because anger is often a mask for other feelings. The therapies or treatments involved can vary, and depend on the program decided upon by you and your licensed counsellor.
Anger management treatment methods
There are several effective treatment methods for dealing with out of control anger. Your therapist will discuss with you, the best options for your individual circumstance. Some treatment methods that are typically successful in managing anger include:
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) is an evidence based approach to treatment that focuses on how your thoughts, emotions and beliefs influence your behaviour and how you perceive yourself, others and the world. CBT has been shown to be effective in dealing with anxiety because it helps you to change those negative thoughts, feelings, emotions and projections on a subject matter or circumstance and help you to learn more effective ways of dealing with your anxiety. This approach uses sound techniques to slow down, halt and eliminate your own learned reactions. Ultimately, CBT deals with those circumstances and events that you’re aware of, rather than dealing with circumstances and events relating to your unconscious. Through a sound therapeutic process, you’ll learn to respond differently to issues and circumstances, and you’ll learn healthy coping mechanisms.
- Behaviour Therapy includes the thinking processes, attitudes and values which typically impact an individual. Generally speaking, Behaviour Therapy tends to view human beings and behaviour with the assumption that humans are a product of their sociocultural conditioning and environment. Behaviour Therapy also looks at the current problems and the factors influencing them and emphasizes overt behaviour changes more than the underlying unconscious processes. Typically, treatment goals are more concrete and objective with a strong focus on measuring progress over time. Ultimately, the goal of therapy is to create new learning and/or new conditions for learning that will ultimately impact the problem behaviour.
- Dialectical Behaviour Therapy (DBT) is a treatment method that’s similar to Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT) but emphasizes building skills to manage stress, mental health issues, and the psycho-social aspects of relationship building. There is some indication that certain individuals are more prone to react intensely to unexpected relationship or emotional situations. Many of these situations tend to be related to family or friend relationships. Part of the theory underlying DBT is that certain individual’s levels of psychological arousal fluctuate or increase significantly more quickly than others, and have an overall higher level of emotional stimulation, which tends to take a larger amount of time to return to general baseline levels where they can remain calm and more grounded. DBT works with these issues and looks at improving interpersonal effectiveness, expanding awareness and mindfulness, aiding in emotional regulation and improving distress tolerance skills.
What will I get out of treatment with Insight Psychological?
When you see a non-judgmental and supportive therapist for anger management, they will help you get to the root cause of your out-of-control anger and through a therapy style that is best suited to you – help you to understand and utilize tools that will ensure you get your anger under control and improve the relationships in your life.
We can help you with anger management – contact us today!