Although anger is a natural emotional response, for some people, it can take over their life and become a problem. Uncontrollable anger, such as the kind that appears without warning or cause, or causes an individual to “black out”, is something that should be managed before it escalates out of control.
Symptoms & signs of out-of-control anger
- Flashes of extreme anger
- Anger eruptions that scare your loved ones
- Inability to listen while angry
- Tense muscles – especially shoulders
- Inability to concentrate
When is it time to get help?
If you feel like your anger controls you, or if losing your temper causes harm to yourself or others, or if your personal or professional relationships are suffering, or anger is affecting your health – then an anger management program can help. Getting to the root cause of your anger is just the first step, because anger is often a mask for other feelings. The therapies or treatments involved can vary, and depend on the program decided upon by you and your licensed counsellor.
Anger management treatment methods
- Cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) is an evidence-based approach to treatment that focuses on how people’s thoughts, emotions, and beliefs influence their behaviour and how they perceive themselves.
- Behaviour therapy tends to view human beings and behaviour with the assumption that humans are a product of their sociocultural conditioning and environment, looking at the current problems and the factors influencing them and emphasizes behaviour changes more than the underlying unconscious processes.
- Dialectical behaviour therapy (DBT) is a treatment method that’s similar to cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) but emphasizes building skills to manage stress, emotional response and regulation, mental health issues, and the psycho-social aspects of relationship building.
What will I get out of treatment with Insight Psychological?
When you see a non-judgmental and supportive therapist for anger management, they will help you get to the root cause of your out-of-control anger and through a therapy style that is best suited to you – help you to understand and utilize tools that will ensure you get your anger under control and improve the relationships in your life.