Specialized Counselling & Treatment for Entrepreneurs
Entrepreneurs often feel the pressure to be “on” and to put up a front that would assure investors, employees, and family members of the viability of their business. In most cases, they carry the worries, anxiety, and burden of the business on their own. When growing or trying to save their business, most may be in a constant state of anxiety, have unreasonably high expectations, would work very long hours, not get adequate sleep, not eat properly, neglect their social circle, and not dedicate enough time to care for their health. There is a strong fear and/or strong feeling of failure. In combination, these, according to psychiatrist and researcher, Dr. Michael Freeman, can trigger “mood vulnerability” and exacerbate any stress, anxiety, other mental health issues or relationship difficulties they may already be experiencing.
A 2015 University of California San Francisco study by Dr. Freeman on the prevalence and characteristics of mental health conditions among entrepreneurs found that start-up founders/entrepreneurs are:
- 2 times as likely to suffer from depression
- 6 times more likely to suffer from ADHD
- 3 times more likely to suffer from substance abuse
- 10 times more likely to suffer from bipolar disorder
- 2 times as likely to have a psychiatric hospitalization
- 2 times as likely to have suicidal thoughts
In the study, mental health was a concern for 72% of the entrepreneurs and one half (49%) of entrepreneurs suffer from at least one form of mental health condition during their lifetimes. These include ADHD, bipolar disorder and a host of disorders.
Psychological issues can often compromise or even debilitate an entrepreneur’s or business leader’s capacity to perform, be productive, and/or maintain relationships. As such, while entrepreneurs and business leaders work hard to take care of their business and their employees, they must also take good care of themselves, especially if they are experiencing some of the challenges listed above.
How we can help
Insight’s therapists, leadership coaches, and seasoned business advisors can support an entrepreneur’s self-care and professional development journey by providing one or more of the following:
- Helping the entrepreneur to assess their current psychological health and work stress condition, and upon request, also their skills and competency in targeted leadership areas.
- Establishing a care and development plan that is specifically tailored to the entrepreneur’s needs.
- Providing specific coaching, counselling, treatment, support, and/or developmental exercises that would help the entrepreneur to address their specific psychological concerns, and developmental needs.
We provide support in the following areas:
- Specialized counselling/therapy
- Major life transition and grief care
- Cognitive impairment and injury rehabilitation
- Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS)
Contact Insight Psychological today to learn more.