Repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS)
What is repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation or rTMS?
rTMS is an effective, research-backed, non-invasive process in which a focused magnetic field stimulates under-active brain cells and activates them to work more efficiently. This can transform lives by reducing symptoms of various mental health disorders and physical health issues.
How does rTMS work?
During treatments, an electromagnetic metal coil will be placed near your scalp, close to your forehead. This coil will painlessly administer a pulse that can stimulate the nerve cells in your brain. For example, when a person is depressed, there are areas in their brain that are thought to be under-active or have neurons that misfire – rTMS stimulates those areas and can help to reset the circuits of the neurons, which can decrease symptoms.
When is rTMS used?
rTMS has been studied in neurological and mental health conditions and can be particularly effective when used to treat:
- Severe depression
- Major depressive disorder
- PTSD (post traumatic stress disorder)
- ADHD (attention deficit hyperactive disorder)
- OCD (obsessive-compulsive disorder)
- Chronic pain
- Post concussion symptoms
- Burnout that has not fully responded to conventional treatments (medication/therapy)
What to expect during therapy
You will be asked to remove any jewellery. Much like an MRI machine, there is a loud banging sound that you will hear, so you’ll be given earplugs to wear during treatment for your comfort and hearing safety. When receiving rTMS therapy, you may feel some face twitching, tingling, or sensations in your scalp but these will lessen as you get used to the treatment.
What to expect from therapy
Together with our partner, NeuroMed, we offer rTMS to our clients who:
- May not have responded fully to conventional treatments (medication/therapy)
- May want an alternative treatment option or a combination of treatment options
- Have had difficulty coping with some of the side effects of medication or do not wish to take medication
Your therapist will talk with you about your specific needs and individual circumstances to explore whether or not rTMS is a suitable treatment method for you. To learn more, please contact us.
PLEASE NOTE: Insight does not provide rTMS services in-house. You will have to go to NeuroMed to receive services once you receive a referral from one of our therapists.