Therapy, How long?

Ask A Therapist OnlineTherapy, How long?
Beth asked 12 years ago

I have been in therapy since I was 3 yrs old. I’ve been physically and psychologically abused during childhood. I am now 40. I feel worthless. I´m diagnosed with AvPD. Without the help of my psychologist, I would shut myself at home to hide from the world. Is it possible to recover or will I need psychological support for the rest of my life?

1 Answers
Best Answer
Insight Psychological Staff answered 12 years ago

It is possible to recover. It is possible to recover and grow from your experience, and help others who have gone through a similar experience.

Although one-on-one counseling is very helpful, group counseling gives you the benefit of feeling like you are not alone. Have you done any group counseling? The Edmonton Sexual Assault center often runs group (780-423-4102).

You may also want to look into Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) treatment. This treatment allows the individual to disconnect the intense emotions from the memory of the traumatic event. You can request EMDR treatment at Insight Psychological (780-461-1717),

I would suggest getting involved in Little Warriors. Those who have survived childhood abuse find volunteering for this program to be rewarding. Talk to your psychologist to see if you are ready for this.