How to help my boyfriend

Ask A Therapist OnlineHow to help my boyfriend
Katie asked 12 years ago

Hi, I want to help my boyfriend speak about his past. His parents split up when he was young and I feel he has a massive chip on his shoulder about it and has real low self esteem. He said he would rather speak to me about it than go to counselling, how can I help him? Any tips? Thank you

1 Answers
Best Answer
Insight Psychological Staff answered 12 years ago


Thank you for your inquiry.It sounds like you really care about your boyfriend and it is important to you that he addresses and works through his childhood issues.Unfortunately, you cannot do the work for him.I encourage you to continue to love and support him where he is at and provide him with some information about counselling and/or self-help processes. If he needs you to listen to him, be a sounding board for him but be sure to take care of yourself emotionally as well.  All you can do is throw him a rope and it is up to him whether or not he will grab on to it.


Ashley Tulloch