Ask A Therapist OnlineGender Disphoria
Anonymous asked

Hi I am looking for a therapist that can help me with my gender identity issues I was born a male but i believe i am a female it is making me depressed and down. I hate looking at myself in the mirror and hate how my body is can you suggest someone to me i live in alberta.

Insight Psychological Staff answered


Thank you for your question. I can absolutely appreciate your caution and concern in regards to opening up to your psychologist when you are only provided with 4 sessions.  It sounds like you may require additional sessions to address and work through other issues. 

In regards to your question, psychologists refer clients when it is appropriate to do so. If you are only given 4 sessions with your current psychologist, I imagine she has a list of agencies/private practices/psychologists for you to consider if you plan to continue with treatment after your final session with her. It would be best to discuss your options and the referral process with your psychologist just to be certain. At Insight Psychological you can see a psychologist for as long as you wish to, so you may want to consider us in your plans. If you have any questions about our fees and services, don’t hesitate to call us at 780-461-1717.

Best of luck to you,


Looking for more help?

Insight Psychological has qualified therapists in Edmonton South, Edmonton North, Edmonton Central, Calgary, Spruce Grove, and Red Deer as well as options for online counselling. Contact us today and begin your journey towards a happier, healthier life.