Very bad anxiety

Ask A Therapist OnlineVery bad anxiety
Amy asked 12 years ago

Hi, my name is Amy and I have very bad social anxiety and generalized anxiety. I saw a Nurse Practitioner for a while and she prescribed me what felt like a different medication every week. The medication made me very depressed so i stopped seeing her. What should I do now? i still have anxiety.

1 Answers
Insight Psychological Staff answered 12 years ago

I would be curious to hear when your anxiety started. Has this been with you since childhood? Did it begin in your teenage years? How debilitating is it? Does it stop you from going to social events? Does it stop you from working? Does it stop you from leaving your house? You may find it beneficial to speak to someone who can do a proper assessment. We can help you with this here at Insight Psychological (780-461-1717), or you could try The Support Network (780-482-0198). If you’re not able to leave your house, you could give The Distress Line a call (780-482-4357).

There are other ways to deal with anxiety other than medication. You may find talk therapy beneficial. Or you could try some deep breathing and relaxation exercises to get better control over your anxious thoughts. You could google “relaxation exercises” or find some guided meditations on youtube.