Gender identity is complex and differs from individual to individual. Lots of factors contribute to an individual’s gender identity including: biology, the environment, social norms, etc. Gender Identity is subjective and based on individuals’ own experiences. Sometimes people find that their gender identity does not align with their physical sex, or do not feel they identify as male or female, rather somewhere in-between.
There are various loosely delineated categories of Identities, including:
- Agender [genderless or neutral]
- Trangender [gender identity does not match physical sex]
- Cisgender [gender identity matches physical sex]
- Pangender [gender identity does not conform to the traditional male-female binary, may be identified as somewhere in between or encompassing all genders]
People who do not identify as Cisgendered may encounter personal or social hurdles including, but not limited to:
- Issues with social acceptance – general
- Interpersonal issues due to lack of acceptance from friends, family, colleagues etc.
- Depression, grief, anger, or anxiety
- Difficulty accepting their true self
- Fear of behaving like ones true self
- Discomfort with one’s physical sex/form
TRANSFORMATIONS, Insight’s Gender Transition Program, offers initial assessment and consultation, medical referrals, and ongoing support to individuals who may be experiencing gender identity issues – including any degree of transgender expression, and/or considering SRS (sex reassignment surgery).
Learn more about this program in our handout here.
How we can help
At Insight Psychological, you will work with a trained counsellor to identify root issues and to determine the best therapies for you and your needs. There are four convenient Insight Psychological offices – in Red Deer, Spruce Grove, Edmonton and Calgary – in order to best serve you. Call us today to make an appointment.
Featured Therapists that can help:
Edmonton North, Edmonton South, Online Counselling
Adults (18+), Children and youth (0-12), Adolescents (13-17), Families, Couples, LGBTQ community, Sexuality, Assessments
Calgary, Online Counselling
Adults (18+), Couples, LGBTQ community, Sexuality
Adults (18+), Adolescents (13-17), Couples, LGBTQ community, Sexuality
Edmonton North, Online Counselling
Adults (18+), Adolescents (13-17), Couples, LGBTQ community, Sexuality, Assessments
Other Therapists that can help: