Ask A Therapist OnlineHow to change for the better?
Anonymous asked

When I lost my brother to suicide a year ago it made me very depressed and isolated. I’ve lost weight, and started drinking a lot. It’s ruining my current relationship, because my partner just doesn’t understand. I just want to be happy and don’t know what to do, but I feel stuck. What should I do?

Best Answer
Insight Psychological Staff answered

My condolences to your loss. Losing a close person is difficult; however, losing them to suicide can create conflicting emotions.

Drinking is a drug that allows us to avoid challenges and issues in our life. I’m certain that you understand this is not a healthy coping mechanism.

– What could you do for yourself that would be a healthier strategy?
– What have you done in the past during challenging times to get you through it?
– Who has been your support before?

When an individual is feeling depressed, trying something different can be a daunting task. That is why it is so important for you to begin to seek support from the people in your life who you feel cared for and safe with.

I suggest attempting one small positive change in the week ahead of you that will move you towards caring for yourself in all domains- physical, mental, spiritual, and relational. This can be simply calling a supportive friend or family member and speaking to them about what you are experiencing, going out for a walk, or engaging in a meditation activity.

Many individuals experience grief in different ways. The important element is to allow yourself to feel the emotions surrounding the loss- whether it be sadness, pain, or anger. By giving yourself permission to experience the emotions, this can help you through t he grief process.

It is also important for you to experience a type of closure with your brother.

– What would you say to him if he was still with you?
– How would you feel?

Sometimes, a release letter can be helpful in this process. A release letter allows you to externalize your thoughts and emotions, releasing it from within you. This can be challenging to do on your own.

I would suggest seeking therapeutic support in your community to help you through this closure process. A therapist can provide you with helpful strategies to achieve closure, while also supporting you in managing the associated emotions.

Asha Thomas, B.Sc., Marital and Family Therapy Intern

Looking for more help?

Insight Psychological has qualified therapists in Edmonton South, Edmonton North, Edmonton Central, Calgary, Spruce Grove, and Red Deer as well as options for online counselling. Contact us today and begin your journey towards a happier, healthier life.