Officially, problem internet/gaming is not a disorder, but symptoms of dependence are exhibited in some individuals. Similar to other kinds of dependence, problem internet/gaming interferes with your life. A problem internet/gamer no longer prioritizes or gives attention to their job, relationships, and other responsibilities.
Symptoms & signs of problem internet/gaming
- Inability to control the time you spend online either through pornography, gaming, chatting, or surfing.
- Losing track of time and have trouble fulfilling responsibilities at work or at home due to internet use
- Feeling more comfortable chatting with online peers
- Spending hours gaming
- Lack of balance between time spent online and time spent offline
- Doing productive things on the internet is no longer a priority
When is it time to get help?
If you feel isolated from your real-life friends and family, who “do not understand you like your online peers”. If you are sometimes defensive of going online and end up hiding the time you spend online, you should consider getting help for a possible dependence.
Problem internet/gaming treatment methods:
- Cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is an evidence-based approach to treatment that focuses on how people’s thoughts, emotions, and beliefs influence their behaviour and how they perceive themselves.
- Behavioural therapy tends to view human beings and behaviour with the assumption that humans are a product of their sociocultural conditioning and environment, looking at the current problems and the factors influencing them and emphasizes behaviour changes more than the underlying unconscious processes.
- Existential therapy is focused on providing the client with a greater understanding of themselves including self-development, and self-awareness. This therapy works on the individual’s unique set of choices and the meaning behind them, making them know they can’t blame their decisions and the repercussions entirely on past conditioning and/or genetics.
What will I get out of treatment with Insight Psychological?
If problem internet/gaming is affecting your life, you should know that you’re not alone. Our therapists utilize a variety of effective treatment methods that can support you on your journey to finding healthy ways to cope, to stop self-medicating and to reclaim your life. Insight Psychological’s trained therapists can help in the assessment and treatment of potential problem internet/gaming. Contact us to learn more or to book an appointment.